Friday, May 30, 2008

First Date

So, last night I went out on a date.  Not with someone I met through approaches, unfortunately, but with someone I met on an online dating site.  I hate admitting that I've even used one, but whatever - I met a cool chick cuz of it and that's that.

Anyways, we made spurt of the moment plans to go grab a coffee at a book store nearby, and spent the next 5 hours very slowly wandering and completely engrossed in conversation.  I was all proud of myself, putting every single thing I've been reading about to use.  I'd throw a compliment out there, then back it up with a joking insult.  Get her to open up by starting with "I" and then get a far more elaborate response.  Stood and sat beside her, slightly turned in, so I wasn't overbearing.  Followed the "let her love you" and opened up just enough to get the "awwww" but not enough to be the depressive sap.  The only thing I didn't get enough of was the kino and escalation, which I knew would be a problem for myself.

For the first half of the night I did nothing whatsoever.  My mind was focused elsewhere, and really I was more focusing on overcoming the conversational obstacles than anything else.  Right around the halfway point I was mentally congratulating myself for doing so awesome and I realized that there was that one thing that I hadn't been doing, so I decided I was gonna change that, even if barely.  Shortly thereafter, the opportunity presented itself, and "High Five!"  Worked like a charm.  Hell, later on in the night she even initiated one herself, which was awesome.

11pm and we both look down at our watches.  I'm shocked (both at the date, and the fact I gotta be up early the next morning) and we both suggest that it's getting late and keep talking.  11:30 we're still sitting, realize the time, and decide it's time to go.  We continue talking as I walk her to her car.  We stop there and keep chatting.

12:30 we finally part ways.  I give her a hug and kiss her on the cheek (still a pussy :-p) and she says "I'd give you a kiss but..." explaining her illness (she's been hiding coughs all night) and I take it as my opprtunity to save myself from being a pussy and tell her that's why I kissed her on the cheek instead.

Smooth operator.

Now, I was going to come on here and question how long to wait to talk to her again, what to say, etc; but as I left work, she beat me to it.  I looked at my cell and she had already texted me to say she had a great time.  I guess I was good ;-)

No comments: